Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fruit Again

"Sunbathers", 9"x 12", Oil on Canvas
Hi Everyone! It took me awhile to finish this piece because I've been trying to work on a couple of different projects. I had to take almost a week out of my painting time to add cradled backs to my oil on board paintings (I had about eight of them). After they were finished, I delivered them to the Carverhill Gallery. I've also been taking a class at a local university which has required some additional work. Now, for my current piece, I arranged these Bosc pears on a plate outside in direct sunlight. I was really intrigued by the shadows and the white on white. Hopefully, you can feel the warmth in this piece because a shade of yellow was used as an underpainting in the "white" areas. I really concentrated on getting the right values in this piece because this is something I've struggled with in the past when painting "white" objects. Maybe now that I've gotten some of my class work behind me and have my paintings mounted, I can return to some kind of normal painting routine.

10 comments:

Pierre Raby said...

I think that we all struggle with schedules during Fall to keep zen -
good to see you're back. I like the balance between cold and warm in this piece, you're a great drawer too.
-Pierre

Jean Victory said...

Thanks Pierre, this didn't come out the way I had envisioned but I can live with it and move on to the next painting.

Unknown said...

Hey Jean,
I thought it was my eyes picking up a reflection of the yellow pears when I looked at the background - but no! it was your careful planning and execution of a lovely painting! I love the values of the complementary colors you chose for the cast shadows. Just perfect with the pears' yellow, which I must say is amazing! I could tell the type of pear right away because of the color! So nice, Jean... :-)

Jean Victory said...

Hi Joanne,
Thanks, yes the background color has a subtle hint of warmth. It didn't come out quite the way I had planned but it's ok. I'm so glad to see you painting with oils. You'll probably enjoy the challenge as much as I do.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I like it.
I also like your collection of kitchen appliances and gadgets on your website.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Wow Jean, This is LOVELY! Beautiful patterns on pears and absolutely GORGEOUS shadows. So glad to see more work from you!

Jean Victory said...

Hi Mary,
Thanks for stopping by! I had to go back to your blog (I have a terrible memory among other things). You had the great peppers with the nice color combos. Thanks for looking at my work...it's appreciated. Happy painting!

Jean Victory said...

Hi Diane,
It's nice to hear from you...thanks for the compliment. I really liked your flower painting a lot. I really liked how the pink color came through the white. It's a nice look. Take care and happy painting.

Marilyn Farrell Webberley said...

This is Wonderful! I can just taste them!

Jala Pfaff said...

Amazing piece.